We’re all in for recycling and repurposing old items; it’s great for the environment. But at what point do our recycling efforts become harmful? This is a question we all should consider when we decide to reuse old, worn-down painted wood.
Wood used for construction, furniture making, or other woodworking projects is often painted or sealed for appearances to protect it from the elements and wear and tear. Over time, this paint or sealer can begin to chip, flake, or peel off.
This may tempt you to repurpose it as firewood now that it is no longer in good condition, but is this really a good idea? Let’s talk this over.
Painted wood should never be burned for a few reasons. The paint or sealer will release dangerous toxins into the air when it is burned, which can be harmful to your health over time if inhaled. Not only this but some paints and sealers used on these types of materials contain chemicals that are toxic even in small amounts. When burned, they can become airborne, and you may breathe them in without even knowing it.
Table of Contents
What Potential Toxins Does Burning Painted Wood Create?
As it turns out, the paint on wood can actually release toxic gases and chemicals when burnt. These toxins can be harmful to both the environment and human health.
These toxins may include harmful and dangerous substances such as:
The heavy metals listed are extremely toxic to human health. They can cause respiratory problems, cancer, and numerous other serious illnesses ranging from headaches and abdominal pain to high blood pressure and fertility issues. It is even more dangerous for young children and pregnant women as it can cause developmental problems, neurological issues, and even miscarriages.
In case you need further convincing, here below, we’ll take a deeper look at these possible toxic chemicals so that you may be able to develop a better understanding of why it’s so important not to burn painted wood.
Lead is a highly toxic metal found in many different products and materials, including paint. When lead is burned in the presence of oxygen, it releases highly toxic and hazardous gases and microscopic particles that can be inhaled, resulting in lead poisoning.
Although lead-based paints were discontinued in the late 1970s, some of the old wood might still have that paint on them.
Even though lead-based paint is banned in many areas worldwide, it’s still prevalent in some areas. With the possibility of any older painted wood lying around your home, the likelihood of encountering it increases. Thus it’s important to be cautious to avoid any type of health issues.
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
VOCs are a group of chemicals popularly found in many different products, including paints, lacquers, and varnishes. They act as the medium to transfer the pain and help with a smooth application. However, when burnt, the fumes released into the air can be highly harmful to human health.
They are also believed to be a significant contributor to smog formation and can cause respiratory problems, eye irritation, headaches, and even cancer.
Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
These are toxic chemicals found in many old items, including paint, starting from the 1920s to the 1970s. However, its mass production was stopped due to the harmful effects its exposure had on humans and the environment.
This was because when it’s exposed to high temperatures, such as when burning, it breaks down and emits various dangerous chemicals into the air, including dioxins and furans.
Dioxins are a group of highly toxic chemicals that can cause cancer, reproductive and developmental problems, damage to the immune system, endocrine disruption, and even death.
Although they were banned back globally in 1979, some of the old wood might still have these chemicals. When burnt, PCBs can release dangerous toxins into the air that can potentially cause very serious health hazards, such as liver damage, diabetes, and damage to the immune system and thyroid, to name a few.
What is Open Burning of Painted Wood?
Open burning of painted wood generally refers to the burning of painted or treated wood in an outdoor firepit instead of in a home fireplace. This type of burning creates a significant amount of smoke and airborne toxins that can be extremely harmful to humans and the atmosphere, as we’ve stressed several times above. The unsafety of this practice is why it is illegal to do so in many places.
If this, for some reason, tempts you to try burning it inside your home discreetly, please note that this would be one of the worst decisions you may make. It will ruin your chimney and fireplace, but the toxins released will be highly concentrated, making it extremely dangerous for everyone in the house.
How do you dispose of painted wood?
So, it is settled. We cannot recycle painted wood, but neither can we use it as compost because of the toxic paint. Then what are you supposed to do with the useless material you have? The best way to dispose of painted wood would be to contact a local hazardous waste facility or disposal service.
These facilities are equipped with the necessary tools, equipment, and personnel to dispose of these toxic materials safely and efficiently properly. Never carelessly throw it away, risking contaminating soil and water with harmful toxins. If you need to dispose of painted wood, simply contact your local hazardous waste facility or disposal service.
We hope you’ve found this article to be informative and helpful in truly understanding the importance of never burning painted wood.
When preparing a fire pit at home or in the woods, burning recycled materials is a great idea, but stick with harmless materials such as newspaper, leaves, twigs, or even cardboard. Avoid burning painted wood at all costs; doing so can result in serious health problems and environmental damage.
So the next time you think about disposing of some old painted items, remember to do so safely and responsibly.
- How to Treat Reclaimed Wood for Bugs
- Types of Teak Wood
- How to Clean Wood After Stripping Paint
- Best Wood for Speaker Box
I am a woodworker with over 21 years of experience crafting everything from furniture to ornamental pieces. I take pride in my ability to bring out the beauty of the wood I work with, creating unique and lasting objects. My passion for woodworking has been a life-long pursuit and I strive to push myself further and further with each new project. I am dedicated to the craft and take great satisfaction in the final product that I create.Read More.